The function of the Building Department is to promote public safety by enforcing building standards. Building Department services include:
- Contractor licensing - Contractors and sub-contractors must be licensed, bonded and insured to work in the City of Portage.
- Plan review - Construction plans are reviewed for compliance with state and local requirements.
- Building permits - Permits authorize construction and inspections.
- Inspections - Construction is inspected for conformance with the plan, the permit and with state and local building codes.
Typical Projects Requiring Inspections
Building, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.
Typical Activities Requiring a Permit
For a complete list of documents, click here
For a list of Building Department staff, click here
- Drainage and Stormwater Management Permit Application
- Stormwater Plan Review Sheet and Onsite Inspection Form
- Right-of-Way Construction Permit Form
- Flood Hazard Area Development Supplement
- Accessory Structure Permit Application
- Improvement Location Permit - Residential Application
- Fire Department Plan Review Fee
- Fee Schedule - Building Department